Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cooper's 2nd Injection - 8/22

This post is very medically related, but I thought many of you may be interested in the science behind the decisions about Cooper's treatment.
Each Sunday evening we receive a schedule for the week. Cooper's 2nd injection was scheduled for Monday the 22nd. Cooper's attending physician in China is Dr. Yin. Dr. Yin came to see us the morning of the 22nd and informed us that after discussing Cooper's case the doctors feel there are too many risk factors to inject the cells any other way than through IV. As they explained their reasoning there seemed to be some discrepancies from what I understand about Cooper and what they were telling me. I proceeded to ask them the exact reasons and risks involved. I wanted to make sure that they were basing their decision off of accurate information. As we continued to discuss this, there were disagreements about Cooper on which they were basing their decision, but ultimately it came down to this:
#1 Direct Brain Injections are not advised at this time mainly because of Cooper's seizure disorder. They feel this method could trigger a major seizure that could kill him. The fact that his injury is global and the seizures come from all over his brain, it would be impossible to determine a safe injection site.
#2 Injecting cells higher up in Cooper's spine, above his scoliosis, would present with a high risk of causing paralysis. There are many nerves there and that is why lumbar punctures are done lower so that nerves are avoided.
Though I understood their reasoning and agreed with their decision, it was still upsetting. I couldn't help but cry. I was still carrying on the conversation through my tears with the doctor and the interpreter when I noticed the doctor started to cry too. In all the years I've been taking Cooper to see doctors, crying to them to help my baby boy, I have NEVER had a doctor empathize to the point that they cried. Maybe they feel it's unprofessional... I found it deeply endearing. The doctor told the interpreter she is a mother and can't imagine what I'm going through. I respected her and her decisions regarding Cooper even more at that point. She had considered it from the perspective of what she'd want for her own child and that meant the world to me.
Many patients here and stories I've heard in the past have had much success with IV injection. The research shows more effect from the lumbar delivery, but improvements are still gained in both IV and lumbar. Of course I wanted the most effective method, but if that's all we can do, then we'll take what we can get.
Jeff took Cooper for his stem cell treatment that afternoon so he could see it for the first time. All went well and we are praying for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment