Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cooper's First Stem Cell Treatment




Each day the doctors do rounds. They come with an interpreter to ask us how Cooper is doing and also provide us with information. Cooper’s 1st stem cell treatment was scheduled for the afternoon of August 17th as an IV injection. Many believe IV is effective, but some scientists say that lumbar injections are more effective since they are directly injected into the cerebral spinal fluid. In Cooper’s case, I have been insistent that most of his injections are done through lumbar since his condition is so severe. I believe he needs many cells delivered in the most effective fashion. Prior to today they had told me his first injection would be IV and the rest would be lumbar, per my request, but they would have to confirm this with the team of doctors.
During rounds the morning of the 17th they informed me that due to Cooper’s scoliosis, they would not be able to do any lumbar injections. I was devastated. I tried not to cry, but I couldn’t help it. All of the doctors were very understanding and continually expressed their empathy. I realize that they are being safe in their decisions and don’t want to risk Cooper having any complications, but I argued anyway. Other research I’ve done suggests many other delivery methods as well for stem cells so I asked them to consider these methods as well. They discussed it and said they would continue to consider those possibilities. As the team left they asked me if I was a doctor... too funny!
Afterwards, I spoke to another patient here that is getting mostly IV injections (for vision) and is very educated on the subject. I asked him how strongly he believes in the effectiveness of that delivery method and he does. He thinks lumbar is definitely more effective, but understands the danger for doing it on Cooper and having done a lumbar here himself, feels it’s intense with many possibilities for side-effects. That made me feel better, but I’m still hopeful they’ll consider the other possibilities. I wish I had brought him before his scoliosis had gotten so bad. I’m still excited at the possibilities for improvement with IV injections and here of many patients that see vast improvements from that type of treatment.
Cooper had his first stem cell infusion in the afternoon as planned. They came earlier and started an IV on him. They were quick and effective in getting the IV started. We took Cooper to a special treatment room where 2 other patients were getting infusions as well. They only let one parent accompany him and I went for the first one. I had to wear plastic coverings over my shoes. They showed me Cooper’s stem cells that were to be injected. They were in their own sealed box with his name. Inside was an infusion bag with his name and a syrup-like, yellowish substance inside. They double-checked Cooper’s IV line with an injection followed by just infusing some fluids. Then they began delivering the cells... it was an exciting moment! I felt like all the years of research, the incredible fundraising efforts, the lengthy steps in simply getting to China, had led up to this point. We did it! Cooper was calm through the procedure. They followed the stem cell infusion with more fluids. The whole thing from start to finish took about an hour.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah that is so awesome. It brings back memories of Joey's first infusion, thru IV, when we were there. Two days after the first injection (IV) Joey tracked with his eyes for the first time. How many infusions is cooper getting? Enjoy your time there. Sight see when you can.

    Julie Stafford (Joey's mom)

    ReplyDelete